APR
17
2009 Walk of Witness starting at St Andrews Coryton and ending up at St Mary the Virgin Marystow

UK News

Prince Philip's funeral to mark his...Prince Philip: Queen shares one of...Helen McCrory: Peaky Blinders...Raúl Castro steps down as Cuban...On the front line in eastern UkraineNasa chooses SpaceX to build Moon...Biden backtracks on keeping Trump...Covid-19: Vaccine passports...Covid: Canada sounds the alarm as...Pregnant women should be offered...Everton 2-2 Tottenham: Harry Kane...Facebook board delays decision about...Breonna Taylor: Publisher refuses to...The Papers: 'Queen bids farewell',...In pictures: Helen McCrory's acting...Covid-19: Pandemic funeral services...Hijab regulations: Two women's...Covid: Art and challenges keep Para...Week in pictures: 10 - 16 April 2021Nepal fires: 'We saw huge flames...Sputnik V: How Russia's Covid...Cinema and big event organisers...Pub and shop staff: 'Please be nice...20 years in Afghanistan: Was it...Reopening verdict: 'It was 'buzzing,...Watson & Boulter put GB in control -...Mourinho 'couldn't care less' about...Evans reaches semi-final in Monte...O'Sullivan wants 'protection' from...Bellator 257: Watch Britain's Paul...Hull KR score record-breaking try...Wales and Lions great Dawes dies,...Prince Philip: The State Bentley and...Who is going to Prince Philip's...What time is the funeral?Prince Philip: How can Prince Harry...What's the roadmap for lifting...Coronavirus: What's the risk on...Covid-19 in the UK: How many...Covid vaccine: How many people in...Covid: What's happening with...Why are so many babies dying of...Prince Philip: A turbulent childhood...Race report: Was controversy part of...'We found a baby on the subway - now...

About Coryton

There was formerly a large quarry at Coryton, opened in 1778, which produced excellent slates for roofing, tombstones, chimney-pieces, billiard tables, etc.

The opening of the Launceston & South Devon Railway line on 1 June 1865 saw the opening of a station to serve Coryton. The platform was on the right of trains going towards Launceston. It was unstaffed from 14 September 1959 but was retained until the closure of the line on 31 December 1962. The station master's house survives, as does the main office although this has been extended since closure.

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coryton like this:

CORYTON, or Corriton, a parish, with a r. station, in Tavistock district, Devon; on Lyd river, 7 miles NNW of Tavistock. Post town, Tavistock. Acres, 1, 334. Real property, £1, 926. Pop., 238. Houses, 48. The property is all in one estate. Slate has been largely quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £208.* Patron, Sir L. Newman, Bart. The church is ancient; and was repaired and enlarged in 1838. Charities, £20.

This Microportal is built on the 2day Microportals platform which provides you with 3 click access to local and global information crucial both to your personal and working life. The platform provides live local data on transport, what's on, accommodation, eating out, shopping, sport, religion and weather as well as comprehensive reference and resource sections including TV, radio, online shopping, route planning, health, education and more.

We are not responsible for the content of external internet sites to which any 2day supported sites are linked. We do not share any contact information with other providers. We use cookies to make our site work efficiently. More information on privacy and cookies.

Copyright © 2004–2021 2day Microportals, East Quither Farm, Milton Abbot, Tavistock, Devon, PL19 0PZ, UK.